June 18, 2012
City Council unanimously adopts Imagine Austin Plan
The Austin City Council voted 7-0 on June 15 to adopt Imagine Austin, the City's comprehensive plan for Austin's future.
The plan defines where the city is today and where the community wants it to go. It calls for a more vibrant, livable, connected city.
The plan includes implementation guidelines and the following priority programs:
1. A compact, connected Austin with improved transportation options.
2. Sustainably managed water resources.
3. Invest in Austin's workforce, education systems and entrepreneurs.
4. Protect environmentally sensitive areas and integrate nature.
5. Invest in Austin's creative economy.
6. Develop and maintain household affordability throughout Austin.
7. Create a "Healthy Austin" program.
8. Revise Austin's land development regulations and processes.
Adoption of a new comprehensive plan launches an ongoing Imagine Austin planning and action program with an annual review of progress and a more thorough review every five years to determine if major updates to the plan are needed.
A Citizens Advisory Task Force guided Imagine Austin's formation and overwhelmingly endorsed the plan in February.